- Time to begin some 2011 garden planning. Nevermind the fact that I still need to get out and clean up this years flower beds 😉 I’d really like to increase our perennial fruit and veggie production. Here are the first two interesting sites that came up on a recent search: Under-appreciated plants by the Alaska Botanical Garden and Gardening in the Shade from the Alaska Star. The second article mentions a cold-hardy kiwi plant. I’ve seen these advertised in my cheap-o perennial catalogs and assumed they didn’t really mean to indicate a zone 3 hardiness. But, apparently they are cold hardy. Kevin’s sister has a friend at work who has had success with these. Oh baby, I can’t wait to plant one of these. Mom, care to try one out too?
- Two weeks ago we upgraded our Beta fish from a bowl to a small filtered tank. I’m really getting into researching the care of fish and tanks. I think I enjoy it so much because it appeals to my desire to control. Little chock-caulk (fish) and froggy choo choo (african dwarf frog) live or die by my hand. Mwahaha. As my sister in law stated as she stared into the tank last night, “It’s like your own little planet earth.”
- The Maxwell House adults filled out our absentee ballots earlier this week. We’re both confident in our choices. With regards to the senate race, I know I voted for the best choice. How come I still have a bad feeling though? My gut tells me all is not as it seems.
- I’m starting to understand what a house full of kids means. This morning for the first time I realized that I was wishing for a longer day to be able to squeeze in a couple more “to-dos”, both personal cooking/cleaning type tasks and fun/educational tasks with the boys. It seems like only a short time ago that I was alone in the house with a single infant and willing the daytime hours to shorten and lessen my boredom 😉
October 29, 2010
October 1, 2010
- Alaska state permanent fund dividends will be coming out next week. Check out my previous posts on this topic here, here, and here. Although we had debated somewhat about sticking with our original strategy in light of the current economy (tangibles, anyone?) we’ve decided to keep with the plan for this year. Jacob will finally get his own UTMA/UGMA. Welcome to Fidelity, Little Goat.
- The title of this post comes from a mind that has indulged itself in WAAAAY too much entertainment today. I let the kiddos watch their normal pre-breakfast Curious George, and also threw in a post-lunch Three Little Pigs movie. Any guesses as to what I did while they stared blankly at the boob tube? If you guessed “laundry” or “cleaning” you’d be wrong. I surfed the internet mindlessly, of course! Well intentioned surfing (I swapped out bloglines for Google Reader, and researched personal finance software) but even well intentioned-but-not-completely-necessary surfing leads to brain leakage. When I indulge in this sort of computer screen gazing I think I anticipate a feeling of completion or something from obtaining necessary information and organizing my life. Invariably, the result is nearly always the complete opposite; a morning wasted on entertainment disguised as productivity enhancement. Ugh.
- I feel some more brain leakage going on. I’d better get off here while I cann sdtill ttttypjeeeeeeeee…